- 1 What causes painful legs and feet?
- 2 How do I know if my leg pain is serious?
- 3 What does it mean when your leg hurts and you can’t walk?
- 4 What causes leg pain between knee and ankle?
- 5 What does it mean when your legs ache really bad?
- 6 Can leg pain be a sign of heart problems?
- 7 What are the symptoms of a blocked artery in your leg?
- 8 What are the symptoms of bad circulation in legs?
- 9 How do you get rid of leg pain fast?
- 10 When should you go to the doctor for leg pain?
- 11 How do I know if I have a blood clot in my leg?
- 12 What would cause someone to suddenly not be able to walk?
- 13 When should I worry about shin pain?
- 14 Why does my leg hurt behind my knee?
- 15 Does a blood clot in the leg hurt constantly?
What causes painful legs and feet?
Most leg pain results from wear and tear, overuse, or injuries in joints or bones or in muscles, ligaments, tendons or other soft tissues. Some types of leg pain can be traced to problems in your lower spine. Leg pain can also be caused by blood clots, varicose veins or poor circulation.
How do I know if my leg pain is serious?
Call for immediate medical help or go to an emergency room if you:
- Have a leg injury with a deep cut or exposed bone or tendon.
- Are unable to walk or put weight on your leg.
- Have pain, swelling, redness or warmth in your calf.
- Hear a popping or grinding sound at the time of a leg injury.
What does it mean when your leg hurts and you can’t walk?
Serious cases of peripheral artery disease can cause leg pain even when the person isn’t walking. This “rest pain ” most often occurs in the feet. Even more serious are cases when the condition leads to tissue death and gangrene.
What causes leg pain between knee and ankle?
The term “shin splints” describes pain felt along the front of your lower leg, at the shin bone. This pain concentrates in the lower leg between the knee and ankle. Your doctor may refer to the condition as medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS).
What does it mean when your legs ache really bad?
Typically, the leg pain is a result of tissue inflammation that is caused by injury or disease. Either injury or chronic disease can cause inflammation to any of the tissues of the leg and lead to leg pain.
Can leg pain be a sign of heart problems?
Sometimes, leg pain can indicate that a person is at risk of developing heart disease. Peripheral artery disease (PAD) occurs when the peripheral arteries become narrow, and fatty deposits start to build up.
What are the symptoms of a blocked artery in your leg?
Claudication is a symptom of a narrowing or blockage of an artery. Typical symptoms of claudication include: Pain, a burning feeling, or a tired feeling in the legs and buttocks when you walk. Shiny, hairless, blotchy foot skin that may get sores.
What are the symptoms of bad circulation in legs?
Here are some of the main signs that you may have poor circulation in your legs because of venous insufficiency:
- Fatigue (tired feeling)
How do you get rid of leg pain fast?
If you have leg pain from cramps or overuse, take these steps first:
- Rest as much as possible.
- Elevate your leg.
- Apply ice for up to 15 minutes. Do this 4 times per day, more often for the first few days.
- Gently stretch and massage cramping muscles.
- Take over-the-counter pain medicines like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
When should you go to the doctor for leg pain?
See your doctor as soon as possible if you have: Signs of infection, such as redness, warmth or tenderness, or you have a fever greater than100 F (37.8 C) A leg that is swollen, pale or unusually cool. Calf pain, particularly after prolonged sitting, such as on a long car trip or plane ride.
How do I know if I have a blood clot in my leg?
Symptoms of DVT in the leg are:
- throbbing or cramping pain in 1 leg (rarely both legs ), usually in the calf or thigh.
- swelling in 1 leg (rarely both legs )
- warm skin around the painful area.
- red or darkened skin around the painful area.
- swollen veins that are hard or sore when you touch them.
What would cause someone to suddenly not be able to walk?
Neurologic and movement disorder causes of difficulty walking. Movement disorders and neurologic disorders affecting the brain or spinal cord can cause difficulty walking including: ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), or Lou Gehrig’s disease. Brain or spinal cord infection, tumor or trauma.
When should I worry about shin pain?
In general, a person who has shin pain that is not shin splints will not require a doctor, and in most cases, the injury will heal with minimal treatment. However, a person with a bone fracture should seek immediate medical attention. Very rarely, shin pain can indicate a rare form of cancer.
Why does my leg hurt behind my knee?
Behind knee pain can be due to a fairly mild condition, such as a torn hamstring that responds well to rest and self-care measures. However, behind knee pain can result from a Baker’s cyst or deep vein thrombosis. With both conditions you may have pain, swelling, and bruising behind the knee and calf.
Does a blood clot in the leg hurt constantly?
A DVT blood clot can cause a calf cramp that feels a lot like a charley horse. Like leg pain, the cramping sensation with DVT will persist and even worsen with time.